The secret is out!! Using their 'Wicklow Outdoors' branding, Visit Wicklow are doing impressive work putting Wicklow on the map as a top Outdoor Destination! Securing an event like the Ecotrail© Trail Running Event for Wicklow is a real accomplishment and one that Wicklow Tourism hopes that will not only attract runners and potentially their families to Wicklow, but also hopes to showcase everything Wicklow has to offer the outdoorsfolk out there.
Of course, we already knew that Wicklow is an amazing spot for all outdoor sports - whatever it is you do! That's why we're here after all! You can hike either on marked trails with options suitable for all the family or self navigated routes - and naturally, if you can hike it, you can run it too!
You can go rock-climbing - trad style - on various single and multi-pitch routes. Or if you prefer, you can go bouldering in the environs of Glendalough right beside us! (Oh and psssht... if you don't have a crash pad with you, we have some to hire!)
MTB is HUGE in Wicklow (we've even hosted the EWS!), there are so many places to go, some official bike parks where you can hire the kit and also some raw routes which are managed by local bikers themselves. Some areas share parts of routes with walkers, so do be aware of this. Cycling too has always been fairly big in the county, the Tour de France once came across these mountains.
Kayaking is another popular sport here - in fact, if you come across a maniac grinning in the rain, they are likely to fall into one of two categories: a) farmer b)paddler! We have quite a few of both!!
But I'm getting off track here - back to the Ecotrail© Trail Running Event!
So, on Saturday September the 28th 2019, County Wicklow will become the 10th European destination to host the epic Ecotrail© Trail Running Event. First organised in Paris ten years ago with the objective to connect the city with the outdoors with a stunning finish on the first floor of the Eiffel Tower, the Ecotrail comes with a very strong eco-responsible ethos and each event is committed to reducing litter, minimising the environmental impact and promoting the use of public transport. Runners must carry a litter bag with them and have it available for inspection at checkpoints. Anyone caught littering will be automatically DQ'd. We like those ethics!!!
Starting and finishing at Bray seafront, participants have the choice of four different trail distances that will take them from the shore of the Irish Sea via some of Wicklow’s most scenic locations into the Wicklow Mountains: 18km, 28km, 45km or 80km - there's a distance for everyone, and plenty to do and see in Wicklow for the rest of the family while you are running! If you aren't one of the many who've already registered, click here.
The various distances will take participants to some of including Bray Head, Killruddery Estate & Gardens, Belmont Estate, "Little" & "Great" Sugarloaf, Powerscourt Waterfall, the Wicklow Way, Lough Tay (Guinness Lake) viewing point and all the way to Roundwood and the Vartry Reservoir.
As with any race, there are required kit lists. Whilst the Wicklow Ecotrail isn't the UTMB, don't be fooled by the lower altitudes. It is just as unwise to visit our mountains unprepared. Irish weather is often very unpredictable, particularly in the mountains - even good forecasts are inaccurate on a fairly regular basis. Expect the unexpected and be prepared.
The mandatory kit list can be found at the bottom of their regulations page, but we've listed it here too for your convenience. Like any race kit, expect to have your kit inspected at any time and don't forget, it's also advisable to have all the potential additional kit to hand at race sign on - just in case it's made mandatory due to conditions on the day.
- Minimum 1 litre water container(s)
- Food supply sufficient for the event
- A personal cup or bottle.
- Mobile phone (enter the safety numbers of the organisation into its directory, do not hide its number and do not leave without charged batteries for the mobile phone)
- Proof of identity.
- Wind / Rainproof Jacket
- Cap / Buff
Possible Additional Equipment - to be advised at sign on whether mandatory:
- Full leg cover
- Full waterproof leggings
- A minimum sum of euros to take care of any unforeseen events
- Rainproof jacket able to withstand poor weather.
- Spare thermal long sleeved top
Anything Else you should have?
- A Running Vest (bag) or Belt to put it all in.
- A foil survival blanket or bivibag in case you need to wait for medical assistance or rescue.
- Blister plasters might come in handy too.
- A whistle to attract attention in case of emergency (some running vests have one integrated into the design).
- Since you need to carry ID, why not use your EHIC if you are coming from another EU country.
- Did you know we also rent kit? email us with any queries!
- Fancy a 10% discount code to buy some kit? Of course you do!! To qualify for a discount code, you will need to email us a copy of your race registration. We'll then send you back your unique code! You will also qualify for 10% off in store if you visit us in person!